Understanding sciatica can help you or a loved one effectively manage the condition. Hundreds of people struggle with sciatica and know it to be both painful and at times debilitating. At Midwest Chiropractic and Wellness, we have been sharing the benefits of chiropractic care with residents of Eden Prairie, MN for many years. Many of our patients visit our office for the first time seeking relief from sciatic nerve pain. Read on to learn more about what causes sciatica and how our chiropractor treats it.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica can be caused by car accidents, sports injuries, slip and falls, work-related injuries, and even pregnancy. Other times, there is no clear root cause. People who have physically demanding jobs or stand for long periods at a time are more likely to develop sciatica. People who are overweight or obese or who have jobs that require them to sit all day are also at a higher risk of suffering from this condition. Another possible contribution to sciatica is cigarette smoking since it increases bodily inflammation. Our chiropractor will assess your musculoskeletal to determine the root cause of your sciatic nerve pain before creating a chiropractic care plan to address it.
Classic Symptoms of Sciatica
While sciatica symptoms may vary, the most common include:
- Tingling and numbness in the leg and foot
- Pain in the leg and buttocks pain that travels down the back of the leg and into the foot
- Pain is often described as a stabbing, burning, searing, or shooting
- Weakness in part of the leg
- Lower back pain and stiffness
- Reduced hip flexibility
Chiropractic Care for Sciatica
Chiropractic care is an appealing option for sciatica treatment because it does not involve prescription medication or invasive surgery. Techniques our chiropractors may use to treat sciatica may be combined or used alone depending on the severity of the patient’s condition. Chiropractic techniques for sciatica treatment include:
- Spinal decompression help to reduce pressure on discs and nerves that are injured, reducing pain and allowing the inflamed tissue to heal.
- Chiropractic adjustments help to realign bones and joints that may be putting pressure on the root of the sciatic nerve.
- Ergonomics training, lifestyle guidance, and corrective exercises to learn how to safely move your body, and minimize the chances of your sciatic nerve pain returning in the future.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor for Lower Back Pain Treatment in Eden Prairie, MN
We provide quality chiropractic care for residents in Eden Prairie and the surrounding areas of Bloomington, Shakopee, Chanhassen, Edina, and Minnetonka. Call Midwest Chiropractic today at (952) 303-4590 for more information on sciatica or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.